NOAA Predicts a Massive Hurricane Season Ahead

Satellite view of the eye of the storm, tropical storm. Formation of hurricanes. Atmospheric pressure. Meteorology. Climate change and global warming. Destructive air vortex. Entirely 3d generated. Typhoon

By Samantha Hager

College Park, MD.—May 25, 2022— Forecasters at The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, released recent predictions of an ‘unusually active’ Atlantic hurricane season ahead. 

According to NOAA’s extensive hurricane season outlook report, from June 1 to November 30, there is a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Additionally, the agency is predicting a 70% chance of 14 to 21 named storms. Six to 10 would become hurricanes, and of these, three to six would intensify into major hurricanes of Category 3 or greater.

As the Secretary of Commerce, Gina M. Raimondo stated, “Early preparation and understanding your risk is key to being hurricane resilient and climate-ready. Throughout the hurricane season, NOAA experts will work around the clock to provide early and accurate forecasts and warnings that communities in the path of storms can depend on to stay informed.” 

NOAA has also issued seasonal hurricane outlooks for the eastern Pacific and central Pacific hurricane basins as well and has plans to issue additional statements regarding the extent of these storms in August at the peak of the hurricane season. 

These forecasts are primarily based on sea surface temperatures in the North Atlantic Ocean Basin and the presence of a La Niña event in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Using this information along with predictive analyses and forecast experts, NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

In conjunction with these reports, an additional report was made by The Weather Channel stating that the start of the Atlantic hurricane season may be earlier than previous years likewise due to the disturbances caused in the Gulf Coast by La Niña. 

Although the storm locations are not definitely determined quite yet, a first cluster was tagged by the National Hurricane Center just days after NOAA’s report was released. These storms are expected to stretch from southeastern Louisiana to the western Florida panhandle. 

NOAA Hurricane Season Disaster Preparedness Kit

Click to View Larger

For families and companies in the Atlantic hurricane season’s vicinity, this means preparation, arrangements, and safety protocols should be considered top priorities. Habitat for Humanity has an excellent guide for disaster preparedness to reduce the damage sustained by potential hurricanes this season. You can also make your own plans for evacuation and preparation using this preparation planning guide by the Red Cross as well. 

As the season begins and the most devastating and difficult moments of many Americans’ lives become a reality, it is crucial that we join together in support of these individuals and help restore not just their homes but their faith in humanity as well. With damage as unavoidable and heartbreaking as the aftermath of a hurricane, the heart is the most important restoration job of all. 

UPDATE: A tropical storm watch was issued on June 2 ahead of a potential ‘Alex’ Stormfront moving in along with a flood warning issued just days prior. The storm Agatha has also passed through Mexico recently with a death toll of nine and a missing person toll of 4. Lastly, there is a severe T-Storm watch currently in the DC area.

Learn more about the emotional impact of disaster resolution and how you and your team can help through volunteer opportunities this hurricane season. 

Cleanfax Staff

Cleanfax provides cleaning and restoration professionals with information designed to help them manage and grow their businesses.

Follow Cleanfax Staff

Related Posts

Share This Article

Join Our Newsletter

Expert Videos

Popular Content


CoreLogic: Spearheading Innovation and Technology in the Restoration Industry


Insurance Restoration Strategies Unlocked: How to Identify & Conquer Top Challenges in the Industry

AI sales

Is AI Going to Be the Death of the Salesperson?

Grow your social media

The Digital Marketing Demystified Series—Part 2: Grow Your Business with Social Media

Digital Marketing - Part 1

The Digital Marketing Demystified Series—Part 1: World Class Email Marketing


As a floor cleaning contractor, which of the following best describes your approach to marketing:

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...