How to Get More Water Damage Jobs
We are asked by companies all the time about how to get more water damage jobs.
And our response is: Do every marketing outlet you can find, and if it works, persist at it — don’t quit.
Some people don’t believe me when I say this. Maybe it’s too simple to believe or they want to think there is some magic thing they don’t know that the big companies do. But I’ve worked with Mom and Pop shops doing $250k per year and the Goliaths of the industry making 10Ä?s of millions per year. That’s it. There is no big secret.
I’ve watched a lot of bankrupted water damage companies in the last five years. You learn a lot by watching them.
Here is why most water damage companies aren’t winning like they should be (or are gone):
- They rely on one or two forms of marketing
- They give up too early on any marketing program they try
- When the going gets tough, they stop marketing, putting the final nail in the coffin of their soon to be bankrupt company.
Let’s look into these a bit more.
1. They rely on one or two forms of marketing. All you have to do is look at the big guys. They are everywhere. Even look at your big local companies, they are everywhere — billboards, phone books, tons of internet marketing, lead generation, bright vans, flyers in newspapers, postcards, you name it. Small guys try to find “one good thing.” Maybe you will for a while, but it never lasts and it certainly doesn’t build a successful company.
2. They give up too early on any marketing program they try. This is so common. I can’t tell you how many water damage company owners I’ve talked to that say “I tried that, it didn’t work.” No, what didn’t work was the owner of the company. He didn’t persist. He tries it for a few weeks or months and then quit because he didn’t see results yet. Marketing doesn’t work like that. Any successful business owner knows it takes persistence, long term strategies and is similar to a relay race: You must make each part of the marketing program work.
3. When the going gets tough, they stop marketing, putting the final nail in the coffin of their soon to be broke company. You know what the big guys do when the going gets tough and business is slow? Market more… WAY more. You know what the small guys do when the going gets tough? Cut off their marketing programs to “save money” which really costs them more money in lost revenues then they are saving through the stopping of their marketing programs.
I know a company owner who is impressing people. He’s only 27 and his company is already doing a couple million per year after only two years. Everyone thinks he is a magic man, and maybe he is. He’s client of mine. I asked him what he does. He told me that he uses my company (of course), three lead generation companies, is in the phone book buying ads, uses the Yellow Pages Online, works Angie’s list, has a city-wide PPC program, sends out postcards, networks plumbers, insurance agents as well as contractors and more. He grew his company faster in 1.5 years than another client of mine who took 25 years to get to the same size.
So, next you are considering why you aren’t big enough, review these points. They are correct.
Dan York is the founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of Stellar-eMarketing and is a seasoned entrepreneur, Internet marketing expert, administrative and marketing consultant, as well as a veteran public speaker. More information is found on York’s website: www.Stellar-eMarketing.com.
Share This Article
Join Our Newsletter
February 21, 2023